The Health Benefits of Pomegranates (Seeds, Juice, etc)
Let’s quickly talk about the health benefits of pomegranates. Pomegranate has been used for thousands of years to treat a wide variety of diseases. It is part of many cultures including Greek, Hebrew, Buddhist, Islamic, and Christian. The latin name is punica granatum.
Pomegranate Options: http://amzn.to/2qS8CeB
This seasonal fruit (sept-feb) is prepared for consumption in a variety of way: seeds, juice, cooking, blending, smoothies and even alcoholic beverages. Most folks who consume it either eat the seeds or consume it after it’s been made into a juice.
Health Benefits (more research required to definitively state)
- Known rich source of anti-oxidants
- Improve flow in arteries of the heart (coronary artery disease)
- Reduce plaque buildup in arteries
- May slow prostate cancer ,breast cancer,colon cancer, leukemia
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce platelet aggregation
- May help with depression (stimulates serotonin production)
- Osteoporosis (stimulates estrogen receptors)
- Prostate, breast, colon cancer
- Heart disease
- Vascular disease
- Weight loss
- Many more..
Vitamins, Minerals and Other Content
- Vitamin C: https://youtu.be/Nuo2YBUTidA
- Vitamin K: https://youtu.be/_352GG8WseY
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): https://youtu.be/jmfENAinpFE
- Iron: https://youtu.be/Q10_f3aTQm4
- Magnesium: https://youtu.be/a3rYf302Sfc
- Polyphenols (ellagitannins, flavonoids, tannins and anthocyanins)
- Punicalagin (phenol unique to pomegranates, appears to help with heart and artery disease)
- Fiber (especially in seeds)
- Mono and Polyunsaturated Fats (punic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid)
- May contain steroid hormones (unclear evidence)
In summary, pomegranates are an extraordinarily nutritious so-called “super food”, a term I'm not a huge fan of. However, They are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber and polyphenols. They also appear to provide a variety of health benefits, especially regarding heart and vascular disease as well as cancer, although more research is needed to really identify exactly what those benefits are.