The 10 do’s and don’ts of of Gym Etiquette
1. DON’T: Don’t lift right in front of the dumbbell rack (or any other rack)
Everyone at the gym is glad you want to get big biceps and do curls while you look at yourself in the mirror. Just don’t do it in front of the rack where all the other dumbbells are held. Do your routine in a spot that isn’t preventing other people from accessing the rack.
2. DO: Put your weights away and put them where they belong
When you’re done with a barbell or dumbbells, return them to where they belong. Do not leave them laying on the floor or in some other inappropriate location. Regardless of how exhausted you are, other people may need to use the weights and shouldn’t have to run around the gym to find what they are looking for.
3. DO: If it looks like someone was just using a machine or bench, ask someone nearby if it’s still in use before you start using it
Use discretion when you come up to a machine or bench that looks like it’s in use. Nothing is more frustrating than returning to your machine or bench and finding someone else just hopped on. On the flip side, don’t expect to walk away from a bench for ten or fifteen minutes and come back to find it the way you left it.
4. DO: Wipe down the equipment when you are done
This is a biggy. No one wants to get your sweat or germs all over them when they use equipment after you. It only takes a few seconds to grab a paper towel and spray down the machine. You don’t want to workout in a puddle of someone else's sweat, so don’t make them do it in yours. Please be considerate of other gym members. Also, just because you’re “not sweaty” doesn’t mean you shouldn’t wipe the machine down when you’re done.
5. DONT: Don’t go to the gym if you’re sick, you’ll just get other people sick
If you know that you’re ill or think you’re ill, don’t go to the gym. People don’t want you coughing on them or leaving your germs all over the place to get them sick. You don’t go to work or school when you’re sick to prevent transmission, treat the gym the same.
6. DONT: Don’t do curls in the squat rack
Most gyms have 1 or 2 squat racks. They also probably have 10 or more barbells. You can curl standing anywhere. You can only squat the bar safely on a rack. Absolutely, under no circumstances, should you be doing curls on the squat rack. This is also true for deadlifts, bent over rows or any other barbell work. You can do that anywhere.
7. DO: Wear headphones and dont listen to music out loud
I’m sure you think you have a great taste in music and listen to the best stuff when working out. Guess what, I think I do too. So does everyone else. Music coming out of a stereo can drown out what someone else is listening to on their headphones. Unless you’re the only person at the gym, keep your music to yourself and keep the headphones on.
8. DONT: Try not to interrupt peoples workouts with social banter, they are there to get work done, not socialize
This one is tough. Some people love to talk and find the gym a great opportunity to do so. No one wants to be rude, but we’re all there for a reason. When I have my headphones on and my head down, that means I’m trying to complete my routine efficiently. Unless you need a spot or have something important to say, please don’t interrupt. Most people at the gym have a limited amount of time to spend there and a specific routine they want to accomplish in that window.
9. DO: Take the weights off the bar when you’re done
Leaving your plates on the bar is bad etiquette. It ties up the bar, the plates and the machine when you’re not using it. If you leave plates on the bar on the squat rack or bench press, most people will think it’s still being used. This will unnecessarily deter them from using a machine that looks occupied but is, in fact, available. Also, gym staff don’t want to clean up after you so clear the bar when you are done.
10. DONT: It’s the gym, don’t wear perfumes, colognes and scented stuff
This is a big no-no. Some of you may have never experienced this, but when you do, you wont forget it. You’re in the middle of a set and some perfume or axe body spray catches your nose and it can be very distracting. Furthermore, some people can be allergic to these things and it can cause their allergies to flare up. This is not a place to show off your new bottle of ‘unbreakable’ by khloe and lamar.
- Understanding Your Core: https://youtu.be/9jM_nDXeWVA
- How To Get Started at the Gym: https://youtu.be/WkkNXTSBg04
- 12 Reasons To Start Lifting Weights: https://youtu.be/V27XiHbYAis
- How To Break Through a Strength Plateau: https://youtu.be/Rj-Ar_tduyY
- How To Get Started with Building Muscle & Strength: https://youtu.be/qlSre20xMwA
- 10 Do's & Don'ts of Gym Etiquette: https://youtu.be/PPqYLGdqOMc